2015-16 Move-In Guide

Check out our MoveInGuide, on the right, and our Check-In Info for additional information about what to do before, when, and after you arrive to campus!


Once students arrive to campus, they will need to check-in to their hall. For those residing in Thomas Jefferson, Residential Commons, or Miner Village, they will go to their front desk between the hours of 9AM and 3:00PM. Those assigned to Farrar, Buehler, Sally, State Street, Keller 1 or 2, or Rolla Suites will report to Altman Hall front desk for their check-in between the hours of 9AM and 3PM. To check-in before or after the times listed, please report to Thomas Jefferson Hall for all check-ins.


After checking-in, students will be assisted by a Resident Assistant to their room to complete the Room Inventory Form. Room inventory is a chance for students to check the rooms conditions and document any prior damages to avoid being charged for them at the end of the year. The student and the RA will sign the form to complete the check-in process. From there, students will be able to begin moving in all their belongings.

What To Bring

Items you will need:

  • Social Security Card
  • Bedspread or comforter, blankets
  • Extra long twin sheets (full in Miner Village)
  • Pillows and pillowcases
  • Towels and washcloths
  • Season-appropriate clothing
  • Clothes hangers
  • Alarm clock
  • Surge protectors
  • Toiletries
  • Prescribed medications and prescriptions for renewal
  • Backpack
  • School Supplies
  • Umbrella, rain gear

Items That May Be Useful

  • Shower caddy
  • Shower shoes/flip-flops
  • Bathrobe
  • Hair dryer
  • Cleaning supplies
  • Broom, small vacuum (vacuums may be checked out at front desks)
  • Laundry basket, detergent, fabric softener
  • Quarters for laundry machines
  • Iron
  • Under-bed storage drawers
  • Dishware, dish soap
  • Desk supplies
  • Bicycle and U-lock
  • Extra trash can and bags
  • Extension cords
  • Flashlight and batteries

Self-Care Items

  • First aid kit
  • Anti-inflammatory medicine
  • Fever reducer
  • Decongestant
  • Thermometer
  • Current insurance card


Complete your meningitis requirement per Missouri State Law 754 section 174.335 - In order to live in university-approved housing, including fraternities, sororities, and Christian Campus House, a student must have received a meningococcal vaccine. Students who have a medical or religious issue and wish to seek an exemption of the requirement will need to apply for a waiver and have that application approved by Student Health Services. In order for a waiver to be granted, documentation must be submitted supporting the need for a waiver. For more information about the Meningococcal Meningitis poilicy and infections, please refer to Student Health. You may contact Student Health Services with any questions at or 573-341-4284. Please note: Students will NOT be able to move into the residence hall until proof of the meningitis vaccination has been received and evaluated by Student Health OR a request for a waiver has been submitted and approved by Student Health.

Early Arrival

Students may not move into the halls until their approved Opening Day unless they are involved in special programs such as Athletics, PRO, or Band. These students will need approval from their coach/advisor to move into the halls before their designated arrival date. The Early Arrival Form must be completed at least one week prior to arrival on campus to complete this process.


Expect a lot of traffic around the residence halls when students arrive during Move-In. Parking will not be allowed in the unloading zones. Please keep in mind that many residents will be unloading and moving in at the same time.

If students are bringing multiple vehicles, they should check-in first while the loaded vehicle finds a space in the unloading zone near the hall. Other vehicles should park in designated parking areas. It's important that the students check-in at the desk before unloading the vehicle to make sure they're in the right place.

While freshmen are not prohibited from bringing cars to campus, there is limited parking available. Parking permits can be purchased from the Parking Operations Deparment. Parking permits have a specific parking designation. Students may only park in their assigned area. Violators are subject to ticket and towing by Missouri S&TPD.


Ethernet access is a service provided as part of your Missouri S&T residence hall contract and will be functioning at Move-In. Students will need to provide their own cables to connect to this service.

The first time students hook their computer to the campus network and start an Internet browser, they will be taken to a web page to register their computer. There, they will enter their UserID and answer a few questions to complete the registration process.

For select Downtown Campus locations (Keller 1 & 2, Sally, and State Halls), Internet service is provided by Fidelity Communications. Students are provided with the cable modem for wired Internet, though need to provide their own router for wireless. Network registration will not be necessary at these locations, but will  be required when using any device on campus network. Any network issues at these select locations should be directed to Fidelity Communications or their RA for support.